Many industries prefer to use silicone gasket for many reasons. This product is considered to be an elastic and flexible polymer created from certain silicone elements. It is mainly used to develop gaskets and insulation components. Many prefer to use silicone rubber variety because of its rubber type properties. Moreover, it has the ability to be moulded into any desired shape. It also can be used to create machine components.
Why use silicone to create gaskets?
Silicone is prevalent in almost all industries, however, used more in today’s food industry. The reason cited is that food grade silicone rubber gasket adheres to the prevailing food safety standards. Engineering solutions are offered by gasket manufacturers to suit industrial units. Silicone-based rubber gaskets tend to serve food processing unit’s unique needs. Being a resilient material, different industries make use of it including those that are into food production.
It is equally known for its higher resistance feature towards temperature as well as a good number of chemicals, thus making it the perfect choice. Silicone is also found not to degrade quickly. Hence, durable sealing gaskets can be created from this material with ease. It also provides amazing sealing because of its high compressibility and elasticity. Silicone is also found to be water repellent. It is not known to emit any foul odour or cause discoloration in food items, thus being an excellent choice as food grade material.
What are its industrial benefits?
- Economical:Silicone can be termed to be a stable and reliable material. This element along with spiral wound graphite gasket can offer value worth the money and is durable. Silicone gaskets, once installed need less maintenance. Unlike other materials, wear is also found to be quite less, thereby reducing considerably production expenses.
- Chemical resistance:There are high chances of exposure towards abrasive or harsh chemicals during industrial production process. Against solvents, water, oil, chemicals, bases, and acids, silicone exhibits amazing resistance. It is for this reason that manufacturers of this product are in demand among different industries.
- Compression set reliance and versatile product:If silicone experiences compressive stress for a prolonged time, it manages to retain its original thickness. At the same time, silicone gasket sheets and rolls are found in varying thickness, ranging from 1-1500cm. Besides this, its hardness tends to range between 10-80 Shore A. This substance has wide range of density and firmness
- FDA approved and flame retardant:Silicone gaskets have proved to be useful in food production plants, diagnostic machines, medical diagnostic machines and healthcare instruments. Compounded silicone is claimed to be highly flame resistant. Thus, silicone gaskets are used by those industries that create excessive heat from its processes.
- Temperature resistant and electrically conductive material:Silicone gasket’s temperature resistance is around -40 to 230 degree C. Even it is good enough to be used for several hours at high temperature conditions. Still, it will not experience much change in it. Silicone gasket used for electronic communication gadgets can offer EMI shielding. This is because of its conductive property.
A great investment
It is for the above features and benefits that this substance makes a wonderful investment for majority of the industries. It also offers long-term use, the reason why it is witnessing increased demands.