The upper and lower eyelids are crucial to our vision and play a significant role in our facial aesthetics. However, over time the eyelids are subjected to the natural aging process, or other factors like the environment, lifestyle, and genetic predisposition collectively take a toll on the appearance of the eyes or in some cases cause vision problems. As a result, changes can be seen in the elasticity, tone, and texture of the skin and sometimes the eyelid muscles. Dr. Akangsha Sharma, is the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Jaipur and she performs best eye lid cosmetic surgery that helps one to achieve the alert look by correcting concerns of the upper and lower eye lids that occurred due to aging and genetics.
Due to aging, the eyelids may stretch and the supporting muscles may weaken. This leads to the gathering of surplus fat both below and above the eyelids, hence causing droopy upper eyelids, sagging eyebrows, and under-eye bags. Furthermore, the severely sagging skin around the eyes can reduce peripheral (side) vision. Most men and women tackle these eyelid concerns for cosmetic purposes with blepharoplasty surgery but for few patients, it can be performed due to a medical need.
What is Blepharoplasty surgery?
Blepharoplasty (commonly referred to as eyelid surgery) is a familiar cosmetic/plastic surgery performed to improve the appearance of upper or/and lower eyelids or fix their functional issues (i.e. eliminate any vision problems). It makes your eyes look years younger and more wide awake or watchful and provides natural results.
Depending upon the area requiring treatment, there are different types of eyelid surgery performed by Dr. Akangsha Sharma at AK Aesthetics, best cosmetic surgery clinic in Jaipur. Patients can choose between a lower or upper eyelid surgery or undergo both.
Why is it done?
Blepharoplasty surgery is recommended for:
- Under-eye bags
- Loose or hanging skin that disturbs the natural contours of the upper eyelid or creates skin creases/folds/ wrinkles on it and impairs vision (in some patients)
- Dangling skin of lower eyelids that reveals white beneath the iris of the eye
- Puffiness in the eyelids because of fatty deposits
- Fine wrinkles and excess skin of the lower eyelid
Who are suitable candidates for upper/lower eyelid blepharoplasty?
- People in good physical condition without any underlying medical conditions that could delay healing post-surgery.
- Individuals not suffering from any serious eye problems.
- Individuals have realistic expectations and a positive outlook from the surgery.
What preparation is needed before blepharoplasty surgery?
Before the eyelid surgery, patients must consult an expert cosmetic surgeon to discuss their medical history and expectations. Next, they must undergo a physical examination (including testing of tear production and measuring eyelid parts), testing of their vision, and getting their eyes photographed from different angles. The perquisites of the surgery include-
- Smoking cessation several weeks beforehand and even avoid afterwards.
- Avoid certain medications such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen or herbal supplements that increase bleeding during and after the surgery.
- Making arrangements for someone to drive the patients back home and even take care of them for the first night.
If anyone wants to rejuvenate their aging eyelids and want to achieve a more alert look, consult Dr. Akangsha Sharma, best Blepharoplasty Surgeon in Jaipur at AK Aesthetics.
How is upper and lower eyelid surgery performed?
Blepharoplasty surgery is an outpatient eyelid operation that takes place by first numbing the eyelids and thereafter relaxing the patient with intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
If both upper and lower blepharoplasty is being done, the surgeon first carries out the upper eyelid surgery. A combined procedure usually ends in up to 2.5 hours. The conditions of the upper eyelids are treated by making an incision within their natural crease (i.e. approximately 6-8mm above the upper eyelid eyelash crease). Through the incision, the accumulated fat is removed or repositioned, excess skin is excised, and the eye muscles are tightened. A thin stitch is used to get the skin together to create an eyelid crease. This alone surgery can take about 45-60 minutes.
For lower eyelid surgery, the incision is made just below the lower lash line. Through this cut, the surgeon removes the excess skin and removes or repositions the fat deposits. Once this is done, the skin is sewn back together or closed with a skin glue to provide a lifted, smoother look. In some cases, a transconjunctival incision is created on the inside of the lower eyelid to correct its concerns and remove or redistribute excess fat without removal of excess skin. If lower eyelid surgery is performed separately, it may take about 90 minutes.
- Sleep with the head raised higher than the chest for a few days.
- Avoid vigorous physical activities for a week.
- Use ice packs to relieve swelling or any discomfort in the eyes for 10 minutes repeatedly 4-5 times a day.
- Wear sunglasses to protect the eyelid skin from sun and wind.
- Don’t go for heavy weight lifting, straining, and swimming for a week.
- Do not rub the treated eyes.
- Gently clean the eyelids and use only prescribed ointments or eye drops.
- Do not wear contact lenses for at least 2 weeks.
For more information about upper and lower eyelid surgery cost in Jaipur, consult the expert cosmetic surgeon Dr. Akangsha Sharma at AK Aesthetics.