Arrabbiata has become an iconic Italian pasta sauce from famous pasta dishes such as penne all’arrabbiata. Also called ‘sugo all’arrabbiata’, arrabbiata pasta sauce is an incredibly versatile pasta sauce which tastes great in a wide variety of dishes that don’t contain pasta. One such dish is the beloved chicken parmigiana.
If you have a leftover jar of arrabbiata sauce or looking for new ways to enjoy this delicious pasta sauce, then this chicken parmigiana recipe is for you!
The best chicken parmigiana
Whether you are needing to impress friends and family when entertaining or wanting a delicious homemade version of the takeaway classic, this chicken parmigiana recipe is guaranteed to become your new go-to dish in the kitchen! This recipe is also gluten-free and you can always switch the chips for a healthy homemade salad.
What you will need for the potato chips:
- Garlic salt x 2 teaspoons
- Spud lite potatoes (washed and sliced) x 3 to 4
- Dried mixed Italian herbs x 1 tablespoon
- Organic extra virgin olive oil x 4 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds x 2 tablespoons
- Smoked paprika x 1 tablespoon
- Pepper x a pinch
- Onion salt x 1 teaspoons
What you will need for the chicken parmigiana:
- Salt x a pinch
- Chicken breast (boneless and skinned) x 2 breast fillets
- Gluten-free plain flour x 1 cup
- Large egg x 1
- Gluten-free rice crumbs x 2 cups
- Dried oregano x 1 teaspoon
- Parmesan cheese (grated) x ½ cup
- Pepper x a pinch
- Organic sunflower oil x enough to ensure the chicken won’t touch the bottom of the pan
- Organic arrabbiata pasta sauce x ½ cup
How to make the potato chips:
- Preheat an oven to 180 C.
- Cut the potatoes in half by cutting lengthways. Repeat until you get a 2cm ‘chip shape’.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sesame seeds, onion salt, organic extra virgin olive oil, mixed Italian herbs, pepper, garlic salt, smoked paprika and salt.
- Using a fork, mix all the ingredients together.
- Add in the potato pieces. Mix together to ensure each piece is completely covered in the mixture.
- Place onto a baking tray that is lined with baking paper while ensuring there is a small gap between each piece.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
How to make the chicken parmigiana:
- Grab 1 bowl and 2 plates, laying them side by side on a kitchen bench.
- Add the pepper and gluten-free plain flour on to one plate. Mix them all together.
- Add the gluten-free rice crumbs, dried oregano and salt onto another plate. Give it a good mix to combine.
- Add the egg into the bowl, giving it a good whisk until combined.
- Place each chicken breast first onto the plate with flour. Make sure each piece is fully coated in flour.
- Making sure that both sides are completely covered, dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture.
- Shake and then place onto the plate with the rice crumbs. Crumb the chicken breasts and ensure that they are each completely coated.
- Grab a large frying pan, fill it with the organic sunflower oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add in the 2 chicken breasts. Cook each side for around 3 to 4 minutes until each side has become golden brown.
- Once they have finished, turn the heat off and place the chicken breasts onto a baking tray with a light spray of cooking oil or that has been lined with baking paper.
- Once 15 minutes has elapsed, remove the potato from the oven and begin turning each piece onto the other side.
- Using a large spoon, smoother each chicken breast with a generous dollop of the arrabbiata pasta sauce. Once finished, sprinkle a handful of the Parmesan cheese over each chicken breast.
- Place into the oven along with the potato chips and bake for around 10 to 12 minutes. You will know it is ready once the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and grab 2 plates. Divide an equal portion of the baked potato chips followed by a chicken breast.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley leaves and some salt and pepper.
- NOTE: If you wanted to make a side salad, just grab a large mixing bowl. Add in some handfuls of spinach leaves or iceberg lettuce, half a red onion (finely diced), a carrot (grated) and a tomato (chopped).
- Now add in 2 teaspoons of honey, 3 teaspoons of organic balsamic vinegar and a generous drizzle of organic extra virgin olive oil.
- Gently mix it all together and serve on the side of the plate.
Whether you have a leftover jar of arrabbiata pasta sauce or wanting to try a new twist on an old classic, you simply must try this delicious chicken parmigiana recipe!