If you are planning to paint the interior of your home, it’s essential to ensure that all of the needful repairs are taken care of first. This includes repairing any damage to the drywall. Failing to do so could result in several problems, including peeling paint and a reduced lifespan for your new paint job. However, it’s pretty easy to take care of any drywall repairs before you begin interior painting using the help of professional home maintenance services.
Here, we’ll discuss the importance of repairing drywall before painting and provide some tips on doing it correctly.
What Causes Damaged Drywall?
Although drywall is an excellent material because of its strength and durability, it cannot always endure. Aside from the everyday wear and tear that your home experiences, several things can damage drywall. Here are the common causes of damage to this material:
Changes in Humidity and Temperature:
One of the main reasons why drywall repairs are necessary before painting is because of the changes in humidity and temperature. When these elements fluctuate, it can cause the drywall to expand and contract. This might lead to cracks in the material that will need to be repaired before you can apply a new coat of paint. A professional home repair service will be able to take care of these cracks quickly and easily.
Another common problem that can damage drywall is water damage. This can occur due to a leaky roof or pipe, flooding, or even high humidity levels. If left untreated, water damage can cause the drywall to rot and eventually collapse. You’ll need to take care of any water damage before you can begin painting.
Defects in the Drywall:
Sometimes, drywall damage can be caused by defects in the material itself. This could result from a poor installation or incorrect drying of the drywall. If you notice any bumps, cracks, or other visible defects in your drywall, they must be repaired before painting.
How Damaged Drywall is Repaired
Now that you know some of the reasons why drywall repair is essential before painting. Let’s have a look at how the repair is done correctly by professional handyman service experts. Here are the steps:
1. Identify the Damage: The first step in repairing damaged drywall is identifying the damage. This includes taking a close look at the surface of the drywall and trying to locate any cracks, bumps, or other defects.
2. Clean the Area: Once they identify the damage, they will need to clean the area with a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust or debris from the surface of the drywall.
3. Apply a Patch: Once the area is clean, they begin applying the patch. First, they just cut a piece of drywall slightly larger than the damage. Then, use a drywall saw to cut out the damaged area.
4. Apply Drywall Compound: Next, they will apply a thin layer of drywall compound over the patch with a putty knife.
5. Apply Second Coat of Compound: Once the first coat of compound has dried, they will apply a second coat. This will help to create a smooth and even surface.
6. Sand the Surface: Once the second coat of compound has dried, it begins sanding the surface. Be sure to use fine-grit sandpaper to achieve a smooth finish.
7. Apply Primer: Before painting the repaired area, they must apply a primer. This will help them seal the surface and create a smooth base for the paint.
8. Paint the Area: Finally, they will paint the repaired area using your desired color and finish.
By following these steps, the professional painters in Corpus Christi can quickly repair damaged drywall before painting.
Why Is It Important to Repair Drywall Before Painting the Interior?
If you’re thinking about putting off drywall repair or choosing to paint over the damage, you run the danger of your topcoat flaking off. In addition, holes, cracks, and other aesthetic flaws will detract from the appearance of your house interior as well.
Hiring a drywall repair service before interior painting is critical for the following reasons:
- Repainting your walls after repairing cracks, holes, or dents in them will result in a smoother interior paint job that lasts longer. A quality paint job from a professional painting firm can improve your house’s appearance and feel. If you try to do the drywall repair yourself and make mistakes, you may have to repaint the entire interior of your home, which can be very costly. Fixing the drywall before painting will avoid this headache and get a better overall outcome.
- The most crucial role of drywall in your house is to prevent wind, dampness, vermin, and insulation from coming inside. Holes and cracks in your drywall can let all of these things inside, so it’s important to repair them as soon as possible.
- Drywall also helps to muffle the sound. If you have a lot of cracks and holes in your drywall, you may be able to hear every sound that is happening in the next room. This can be very frustrating and distracting.
- Outside air can flow through walls and cause cold or warm air to enter the space, reducing energy efficiency. You may also destroy your heating system, wiring, and pipes while attempting to unclog them. This can result in larger electric and gas bills.
- When you have an expert come in to repair the drywall, they will ensure that all of the cracks and holes are correctly fixed. They will also apply a primer and paint to the repaired area to look seamless with the rest of your walls. This will help avoid future damage and make your walls look more excellent overall.
Contacting a professional handyman service is best to ensure that your drywall is repaired correctly before painting. They will have the experience to get the job done right, and you can rest assured knowing that your interiors are in good hands.
How Much Does It Cost to Repair Drywall?
Drywall repair pricing is determined by the amount of damage that needs to be fixed. A professional drywall repair service will factor in the cost of materials, time, and ledabor when quoting a price.
For a small hole or crack, the price may start at around $50. For extensive damage, such as water damage or large holes, the price may be $150. It is essential to remember that these prices are just estimates and may vary depending on your location and the specific services provided.
Before deciding, it is always best to get a few quotes from professional drywall repair services. This will give you an idea of the average price for this type of work.
If you are going to paint the inside of your home, it’s essential to repair any damage to the drywall first. This will ensure a smooth, long-lasting paint job and prevent any further damage. Contacting a professional home maintenance service is the best way to get this work done correctly.