Jaggery is a sweetener that is a “healthy” replacement for sugar and it is often referred to as a “super food sweetener.” So what is Jaggery? It is an unrefined sugar product made in Asia and Africa, although it has a different name, ‘Vellam’ in Tamil, “Gur” in Hindi, is also known as ‘Bellam’ in Telugu, ‘Sharkara’ in Malayalam, ‘Bella’ in Kannada, and ‘Gul’ in Marathi. It is an unrefined sugar that is obtained from raw, concentrated sugarcane juice, date palm (Nolen Gur) and coconut, Jaggeries made from sugarcane juice is the most commonly used for making delicious sweets. Jaggeries are more nutritious than refined sugar and are prepared by natural means without the use of artificial additives or preservatives. The best way to make your desserts or everyday snacks healthier is by adding Jaggery instead of sugar as jaggery is rich in copper, iron, and magnesium.
The Health benefits of this popular food sweetener are listed below.
· Prevention of respiratory problems: Jaggery is one of the best and most beneficial solutions for people who have frequent respiratory tract problems. It may help to prevent asthma, bronchitis etc by including it in their diet.
· Helps in weight loss: Weight gain is a problem in most people, one among the trusted remedies to foster weight loss is to intake jaggery which may be a good source of potassium to balance that helps balance electrolytes, boosting metabolism as well as building muscles and also help reduce water retention in one’s body.
· Controls blood pressure: The presence of potassium and sodium in jaggery helps maintain acid levels within the body and maintains normal blood pressure levels. Anyone suffering from high or low blood pressure, including it in their diet would be of great help.
· Great source of energy: Jaggery provides gradual energy that lasts for a longer period of time. This is because it is unrefined and ensures that blood sugar levels aren’t altered immediately but rises slowly instead. This, in turn, can help prevent fatigue also.
· Relieves menstrual pain: Jaggery is a natural remedy to reduce pain occurring from menstrual cramps. It also helps those who experience mood swings or frustration before their periods. Eating them in small quantities or amounts helps to release endorphins that relax one’s body.
· Purifies blood and body: Consumption of jaggery regularly in moderate amounts can aid in blood purification. This is also the reason why it is effective in treating acne or pimples as cleaner blood also means healthier skin. Additionally, the total hemoglobin count in blood also increases with the consumption of the right amount of it. Jaggery has the best natural cleansing agents for the body; furthermore, it can help remove all kinds of unwanted particles from the intestines, stomach, food pipe, lungs, and respiratory tract successfully.
· Boosts immunity: Antioxidants and minerals like selenium and zinc are present in jaggery helps in preventing free radical damage along with building resistance against various infections.
· Prevents constipation: Consumption of the nutrient-packed sweetener (jaggery) helps to stimulate bowel movements and activation of digestive enzymes in one’s body and reduce the risk of constipation.
· Treatment of cold and cough: Jaggery also helps cure flu-like symptoms such as cold and cough as it produces heat in one’s body thereby fighting the cold.
· Maintains good intestinal health: Jaggery is rich in magnesium, eating it daily can lead to good intestinal health. It can be made as a part of your daily diet, and you’ll start observing its benefits on your own.